Checking Ingredients in your Cosmetics
When it comes to choosing the right beauty products, what’s most important to you? How it looks, what it does or what its ingredients are?
Remember to check your cosmetics (facial creams, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, makeup, deodorant, toothpaste, sunscreen, baby products, etc) for hormonal disruptors and environmental contaminants.
We take pride in our products being all natural, made from natural ingredients. All our products are 100% natural with no preservatives, no artificial fragrances, no emulsion no artificial coloring and no additives.
• Aminophenol (coal tar)
• Artificial Fragrance
The following artificial additives are normally and often used in cosmetic products for various purposes. Some are preservatives, others are for skin lightening and others used to increase the efficiency of the product.
Why are Parabens bad
Parabens are a collection of preservatives that are used in pharmaceutical and cosmetic products. They are used mainly because of their bactericidal and fungicidal properties. Parabens are colourless and odourless. They have no taste, do not discolour and are practically pH neutral.
They can be contained products such as gels, lotions and shampoos. Parabens have been repeatedly suggested as causing allergies. The allergenic potential of parabens is proven. A study showed , parabens have been detected in human tissues and bodily fluids from cosmetic use. The studies have also confirmed the presence of parabens, detected in wastewater, rivers, soil and house dust. Paraben applied on broken or damaged skin has result in sensitisation.
Paraben possible link with breast cancer, where some research has found very low concentrations of parabens in samples of breast tumours from breast cancer patients.
Potential Effects of Paraben.
• Daily usage of parabens in the different products can cause allergic reactions characterized by skin irritation, contact dermatitis and rosacea in individuals with paraben allergies.
• With exposure to the sun, Methyl paraben, when applied to the skin can react with UVB leading to increased or premature skin aging.
• Effect on Hormones. Parabens can disrupt hormone function that may cause increased risk of breast cancer and reproductive toxicity.
• It causes rashes and burning of skin in some individuals.
• Hydroquinone (skin lightening)
• Sodium benzoate
• Solvent extraction
The recommended Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) for combined methyl and ethyl parabens is 10 mg/kg body weight/day.
Petroleum is extracted from petrol and is considered carcinogenic. Can be used in beauty products as one of the ingredients. Mainly when used it gives an illusion of moisturized and hydrated skin but has an underlying effect on your pores as it caused clogging.
• Clogs the pores of the skin which can lead to breakouts.
• It is not water soluble thus tends to keep water and air out of the skin thus suffocating it.
• It leads to dehydrated skin as no water is allowed to go into the pores.
• Makes cleansing difficult because of its thick nature.it tends to seal dirt within the pores thus making it harder to achieve cleansed pores.
• In those who are allergic it can cause irritations in the skin.
A sulphate is a salt that is formed when sulphuric acid reacts with another chemical. It is contained in many beauty products as an ingredient. Sulphates are considered corrosive in some cases. Many shampoo companies are now advertising their products as sulphate free which are considered gentler on the hair.
• Irritation on the skin and eyes has been reported with long-term use
• Has been said to cause cancer when contaminated. Contamination occurs during production and some links have been shown in regard to cancer.
• Cell damage.it has a degenerative effect on cell membranes of the skin causing a low ability of cell degeneration after damage.
• Hair damage. It can cause drying of the hair, irritation of the scalp, discoloration and hair loss.
Aminophenol (Coal Tar)
Coal tar can be used in medication and cosmetic products. It is derived from coal and belongs to the keratoplastics class of drugs.
• Can cause itching, redness sensitivity to sunlight and burning of the skin.
• May cause signs of infection, swelling and tenderness of the skin upon usage. This makes the skin comfort disturbed
• Increased risk of cancer with over usage of the ingredient for example in daily cosmetic products.
Polyethylene is contained in cosmetic products as an additive. It has adverse effects on the skin mainly because of it inflammatory properties. Studies have been carried out concerning this chemical with the use among humans and animals. It is mainly used to increase the absorption of products into the skin pores.
• It causes puffy face due to water retention in the skin layers after usage.
• Can cause rashes
• Lip swelling
• Skin inflammation in general including redness.
Hydroquinone is a depigmenting agent used to lighten scars on the skin like age spots, skin injury scars and freckles. It is mainly a lightening agent and decreases the formation of melanin on the skin.
• Skin irritation and sensitization
• Inflammatory reaction
• It contains sulphites which may cause allergic reactions to certain individuals.
It is a synthetic preservative used to preserve beauty products and topical creams. Considering it is synthetic it may cause various effects to the skin of individuals.
• Can cause allergic reactions in individuals
• Causes skin irritation
• Allergic reaction may be seen to those allergic
• May cause cancer when used in large quantities
• Can cause inflammation on the eyes.
It is a chemical used as a preservative in beauty products. Various studies have been done on Sodium Benzoate to determine the effects of its se on humans. On the skin it can cause different effects and harm.
• Can lead to rashes
• Concerns have been made over its increased risk in causing cancer and reproductive toxicity
• Irritation on the skin
• Can damage cells on the skin by attacking the cells mitochondria and lead to the malfunction of these cells
• Cause premature aging
The above additives have been seen to cause a lot of adverse effects on the human skin and hair. The risk increases with the amount of preservatives used and exposure on a daily basis.
We as Natural Living Supplies have considered your health making sure we keep our products as safe for use as possible while still maintaining its benefits for your skin.
by Natasha Warimu