Enhance Your Beauty Routine With Essential Oils
Essential oils are great for acne prone skin, preventing wrinkles, fading age spots and making you glow naturally.
Long before labs existed men and women especially women used essential oils to enhance their natural beauty. Essential oils have so many functions other than enhance once beauty. They have properties that can cure a variety of ailments. Essential oils are natural oils typically obtained by distillation and having the characteristic odour of the plant or other source from which it is extracted. They are produced by steam or water distillation of the leaves, needles, seeds, berries/fruit, resin/balsam/gum, wood, petals, buds, bark or roots of the plants they are sourced from for example lavender, roses. Most of the essential oils are water distilled except citrus essential oils which are either cold pressed or steam distilled from the peels of the fruits.
Essential oils are highly concentrated therefore a little goes along way. The oils need to be diluted adequately to prevent the risk of irritation when applied topically on your skin. They are diluted using carrier oils of your choice. For example, jojoba, argan, coconut, olive oil etc
Properties of essential oils.
We all want to enhance our natural beauty in one way or another or better yet maintain the beauty. Most of all we don’t want to do anything to harm our skin or health in the name of finding beauty. Essential oils are absolutely the best answer to most skin problems like acne, eczema, ageing and so on. Before using an essential oil, you have to test it first to know if it will irritate your skin once you have diluted it. This will let you know that you have diluted the oil well. Do a spot test by applying topically on the sole of your foot because this is the least irritated area so that in case you feel any type of irritation, you control it as quick as possible by applying a carrier oil to the area to prevent it from getting worse.
You can enhance your natural beauty routine with these essential oils to name a few.
- Frankincense– this oil heals acne while fading acne scars, prevents breakouts, fights hyperpigmentation, reduces the appearance of large pores, wrinkles and fine lines, tightens the skin,heals eczema and prevents signs of aging.
- Myrrh– this oil makes a great cleanser. It is also anti-aging, soothes inflamed skin, great for the treatment of wounds.
- Lavender-used to treat acne, balance out oil production, clear your complexion, moisturise dry skin, reduces inflammation.
- Ylang ylang- this oil promotes healing of the skin, improves the appearance of tired skin,
- Lemongrass- it works as acne prevention/treatment. It also softens the skin and reduces inflammation, helping to even out your skin and give your skin clearer complexion.
- Tea tree oil-used as a treatment for acne. It heals acne wound quickly whilst reducing inflammation.
- Chamomile oil- it helps with acne by reducing the redness and inflammation. It also helps with eczema by reducing scarring due to the hydration it provides. It calms down rashes, tones and evens out the skin tone and prevents ageing
- Neroli-this oil is a good oil that is used to treat mature, ageing and sensitive skin types. It can also be used to tone and tighten the skin.
- Geranium-treating acne, soothing skin inflammation. Hydrating and toning the skin to prevent signs of ageing, prevents age spots and getting rid of cellulite.
- Manuka oil- this oil encourages skin cell turn over to even out your complexion and prevent congestion of your pore, preventing acne. This oil is gentle enough to work for sensitive skin types especially that struggle with eczema.
- Juniper oil- can be used to treat acne, eczema and dermatitis to give you a glowing complexion, treats excess oil production, clear out congested skin, gets rid of cellulite.
- Helichrysum oil-this oil is great for treating eczema and rashes whilst healing cuts, bruises and burns. It also reduces inflammation and fades stretch marks.
- Jasmine oil- it fades scars, reduces acne, prevents ageing, hydrates the skin, treats eczema, it boosts the skins elasticity, reduces excess oil production and good for sensitive skin.
- Fennel oil- this oil is great for ageing skin because it reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and keeping the face muscles tight.
- Carrot seed oil-it is high in carotol which helps dull skin glow. Rich in antioxidants that counteracts the main cause of aging, it balances out the complexion by hydrating the area. it soothes sunburn.
- Other essentials like: basil oil, bay oil, cedarwood oil, catnip oil, cassia oil, cardamom oil, caraway oil, allspice oil, rose oil are also good for the skin. They prevent aging, treat acne, soothe the skin.
Finding the best quality essential oil to use can be a hectic job as there are many vendors selling fake and low-quality oils especially online. the best essential oils are only extracted from the plants with nothing extra added to the oil. There is a simple test to show you if you have good quality oil that is pure. put a drop of the oil on a piece of paper towel and leave to dry. If the paper towel stains,then there is an additive oil. If it doesn’t stain, the oil is pure. Instead of buying too many essential oils only to find they are of low quality, ask around for a good reputable retailer who can sell to you the best quality of oils.
Essential oil safety.
Essential oils can be really beautiful and attractive in their little cute bottles. One can be so amazed at how important and functional they are. Do your research well before purchasing an essential oil and make sure they make sense to you in that you know their name and benefits/uses. Buy the oils from a reputable source.
If pregnant, exercise caution when using the oils. some are safe for use for pregnant women some are dangerous.
Make sure to buy 100% pure essential oil.
Some essential oils are photosensitive and can cause burns if exposed to sunlight. always research on the safety of your essential oil and do a spot test before applying it.
By Eila Oketch.